28/03/09 (Jamie) So our plans to make it over to Montafon have been scuppered for a number of reasons. After a serious dump, and continued bad weather, we were met by Gavin MacKay, Paddy Graham, and Run Jump Fly production’s Nic Watkins for a wee shred in the trees on the Jakobshorn. The snow was sick, but rapidly rising temperatures meant that the lower slopes were fast turning to soup. Still we managed to bust out a few lines, and even found a mini drop in the trees. Paddy threw down some newschool and went for the 180, while myself and Gav went for the more old school backflips. It was a good day, and Gav even managed to send a big mountain line in a break in the cloud cover.
The next day we awoke to more cloud cover and high temperatures. Paddy had to bust a groove, and Pally and I decided to take the long trip over to Baar to grab a new bulb for Pally’s flash in case any night shooting was on later in the season. As it turned out this may have not been such a good move. The cloud broke and Nic and Gav set to work getting some footage. Meanwhile Pally and me were stuck on the motorway heading to the photo shop. As we were driving we saw a massive avalanche on the mountains in the distance. This thing was travelling at well over 100mph, and the cloud at the front must have been at least 100ft high. I’ve never seen anything like it, although unfortunately we weren’t quick enough to get it on camera.
Having seen this natural phenomenon, we texted Nic and Gav to be careful on any potential sliding faces – the high temperatures were making for some sketchy conditions. As it turned out the warning was largely irrelevant, Gav had already broken his foot, dropping 30ft onto a rock in a gnarly line. It was a gutting end to Gav’s trip. With the high temperatures, heavy snow, and man down, it was decided that our planned trip to the Montafon would have to be called off.
So here we are again, hanging out in the Davos area, and the snow is rapidly deteriorating, it looks like it might be the time of year to start heading to the parks. However, not quite done, Pally and I went and found a decent gap jump (about 20m clearance) and built a monster, just in case we get another decent snowfall. If so we’ll be grabbing some riders and will be ready for launch!